IPL 2020 is unique for quite a few reasons:
- First time since 2013 this event is not in India,
- First time there will be no spectators
- First time there will be no inter city travel for the team (the teams are all staying within 5-10 mins of the stadiums) and
- First time there won’t be high scores as well its UAE so the heat will ensure that the pitches are more spin friendly.
We of course know the 8 teams so this article talks about strengths and weaknesses for each.
Overall, I think we really want to see anyone except CSK and MI win this!
- CSK – Watson and Faf at the start, Dhoni, Ngidi, Hazlewood and Santner as bowlers, almost the same squad (will miss Raina and Bhaji), definitely makes them clear favourites.
- MI – Rohit Sharma, Pollard, Pandya bros, Boult – again a solid combo but since no team has won this 2 times in a row this might not be their year on that logic alone.
- DC – A newish team which has Ashwin, Rahane and Dhawan (oldies you might say) for the first time and it has Prithvi Shaw, Iyer and Pant as the young blood. IF we add bowling of Amit Mishra, Rabada, Axar, Ishant Sharma and then Australians – Stoinis and Carey – we definitely have a top 4 contender. Look out for them.
- SRH – Warner, Williamson, Bairstow – need we say more. We can – Rashid, Nabi as spinners and Bhuvi, Sandeep Sharma as pacers means that while they are a contender for top 4, their middle order weakness (over reliance on the first 3) might mean that this year too is going to be a miss.
- RR – English contingent of Buttler and Archer, Steve Smith (not sure when he will start playing though) and Miller – these are enough to ensure that they are no pushovers. Yes they haven’t won since the first IPL and since then a lot of chopping has happened (players) but they just need Smith or Buttler to turn up on the day and that’s enough – the rest of the players can work around them (have some handy Indians there).
- KXI – Yes they have Gayle but he is aging so others have to come to the party and while they have a squad of KL Rahul, Mayank and some exciting allrounders (Pooran etc) we dont see them going beyond the league stage.
- RCB – Exciting contingent of good international buys (Finch, Williamson, Josh Phillipe, Chris Morris, Moeen Ali, Dale Steyn, and AB!) backed by Virat – they too are going to the top 4. Like last time they should work on their self confidence and Chahal has to step out (remember spin is going to play an important part).
- KKR – Another exciting contingent of good international buys (Morgan, Banton, Cummins, Narine, Ferguson and the Drus Russell) backed by Dinesh Karthik and Gill – they too are going to the top 4. Like last time they should work on their self confidence and Chahal has to step out (remember spin is going to play an important part).
So while we will continue to cover some exciting matches through the course of the next 6 weeks we hope you enjoy the action (we surely will).